Opportunity Knocks provides a range of assessment services including:
Full diagnostic assessments
- Cognitive-educational assessments for children, adolescents or adults suspected of having a specific learning disorder (SLD).
- Special Assessment Conditions (SAC) documentation for secondary or tertiary students (special assessment conditions in the form of a reader, writer, or extra time for exams, are accommodations that may be granted by NZQA where a student has an identified learning disorder).
- All diagnostic reports include an analysis of strengths and weaknesses, and recommendations for interventions or accommodations if applicable. 'Interventions' refers to teaching specific skills to improve achievement, such as learning to break words into syllables to help with decoding. 'Accommodations' are intended to remove barriers to learning - for example, using text-to-speech technology to assist with reading.
Maths proficiency assessments
An extensive analysis of core maths concepts and skills, covering:
- Basic Concepts ~ Numeration; Algebra; Geometry; Measurement; Data Analysis and Probability
- Mathematical Operations ~ Mental Computation and Estimation; Addition and Subtraction; Multiplication and Division
- Applications ~ Foundations of Problem Solving; Applied Problem Solving
- A comprehensive diagnostic report identifies specific gaps in knowledge
- Quick screening for dyslexia or dyscalculia
- The Dyslexia Screener calculates a 'dyslexia index', which compares the score attained with scores common for people with dyslexia
- The Dyscalculia Screener permits the early identification of difficulties that may indicate dyscalculia
For further information on any of the above assessments, refer to SLD Assessments